FTX Crypto Currency Exchange Goes Bankrupt, Causes More Volatility in Crypto Markets
FTX, a cryptocurrency exchange founded by Sam Bankman-Fried, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on November 11, 2022. The bankruptcy filing came after a series of events that led to a liquidity crisis at FTX.
In the days leading up to the bankruptcy filing, FTX experienced a sharp decline in the value of its FTT token. The FTT token is used to pay for trading fees on FTX, and it is also used to secure loans from FTX’s lending arm, Alameda Research. As the value of the FTT token declined, FTX was forced to sell off assets to meet its margin calls.
The bankruptcy filing by FTX is a major setback for the cryptocurrency industry. FTX was one of the largest cryptocurrency exchanges in the world, and its collapse has shaken confidence in the industry. It is unclear what the long-term impact of the FTX bankruptcy will be, but it is likely to have a significant impact on the cryptocurrency market.
The Biggest Headlines from November 2022
- Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade. In a 6-3 decision, the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, the landmark decision that legalized abortion nationwide. The decision is expected to lead to abortion bans in many states. 
- Russia continues its invasion of Ukraine. The war in Ukraine continued in November 2022, with no end in sight. Russian forces continued to bombard Ukrainian cities, and the Ukrainian military continued to resist. The war caused a humanitarian crisis in Ukraine, with millions of people displaced from their homes.
- China’s economy slows down. China’s economy grew at its slowest pace in a year in the third quarter of 2022, as the country’s government continues to crack down on its tech sector and other industries. The slowdown is a sign of the challenges that China’s economy is facing, and it could have a ripple effect on the global economy.
- Hurricane Matthew hits Haiti. Hurricane Matthew made landfall in Haiti on October 4, 2022, as a Category 4 hurricane. The storm caused widespread damage, including flooding and mudslides, and is estimated to have killed at least 1,000 people.
- US and China hold talks on trade. The United States and China held talks on trade in November 2022, in an effort to resolve the ongoing trade war between the two countries. The talks were inconclusive, but they did represent a step forward in the process of de-escalating the trade war.
- North Korea fires missiles. North Korea fired several missiles in November 2022, in a show of force against the United States and its allies. The missiles flew over Japan and landed in the Pacific Ocean.